This is a workflow test. I’m trying to come up with a good way to create tileable textures starting with a Mudbox sculpt.
I tweaked my brick wall a bit so that I could add proper corners. It took a while to get a half decent normal map to render. There are still issues with the corners on the grout. Not quite sure what’s happening there.
Once I find a fix for the corners I’ll be able to bake out a better diffuse. I’m also going to look into how I can generate some kind of height map to mix with my normals in order to give it a little more depth.
I obviously have some things to learn about UDK light maps. Part of the issue is definitely related to a lack of proper uv’s. On the plus side, it looks like I’ve got my scale right.
As I’m modeling these things I’m discovering that some of the initial proportions I figured out are a little off. I feel like it’s coming together as a whole though. Doesn’t really look like I did all that much to it tonight, but it’s progressing. Wish I had all day to work on this.
I’m continuing to make decisions about what to put where. I still have lots more trim to consider. After that it’s the top, bottom, and corners of the building. I’m still not completely sure how I will be exporting this all out to UDK. It can’t really be a million tiny pieces of trim. Hmm.
I’m continuing to make sense of all of these pieces of decorative trim. There’s a lot of variation on the actual building. I’ll be simplifying it a bit for my version. I plan on sculpting into a few of these to get some of that neat ornate stuff that’s on the real building.
Started modeling on some of the essential building parts. The brick texture will get more love before it’s all over. The pattern is more or less there, though.
Here’s a rough block-out of the whole building complete with bad lighting and a stand-in 3dsmax tree. It’s built on a grid so things should fit together nicely in UDK.